Friday 18 April 2014

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi Book Review

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

 What I liked:

  • The writing style was so unique and poetic. I was a bit thrown off at first and i can see why some people wouldn't like it but i really enjoyed the crossouts. It really helped us get a better idea of Juliette's mental health.
  • The book was so fact-paced, I practically flew through it in one day. 
  • I loved Kenji. He was by far the best character in my opinion. I loved his ,sometimes, crude humour.
  • It was an interesting first book and it layed the foundation for the next books to be even better.
  • The ending was surprising and we still have a lot of unanswered questions which will probably be answered in the rest of the trilogy. 
What I disliked: 

  • Before going into this book i had heard on multiple occasions that the main protagonist was annoying and she was. Juliette was just either extremely whiny or extremely melodramatic but i guess a girl in her situation would be so i'll let that go.
  • This whole Team Adam ,Team Warner thing really confused me. I didn't really like either of them. Warner was evil and extremely hot evil and quite mean to Juliette most of the time and Adam just felt too good to be true. I hope i'll change my mind about them in Unravel me ,the next book. 
  • Sometimes Juliette will go off on a tangent about random things for a whole paragraph which was quite frustrating. 
My Favorite Quotes:

“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.” 

“I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe.”


My Rating: 4/5 Stars


Tess x

No comments:

Post a Comment